Specific Learning Disabilities Defined
Minnesota has thirteen categorical disability areas in which a child may be eligible to receive special education services. A team of qualified professionals, including the parent(s), determines whether the student meets criteria in one of the thirteen categorical disability areas and is in need of special education services.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Blind-Visually Impaired
- Deaf-Hard of Hearing
- Developmental Cognitive Disability
- Developmental Delay
- Emotional Behavioral Disorders
- Other Health Disabilities
- Physically Impaired
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Severely Multiply Impaired
- Speech/Language Impaired
- Traumatic Brain Injury
For the current Minnesota rule language regarding evaluation and reevaluation, click on MN Rule Chapter 3525.2710.