Welcome to the Tartan Competition Dance Team!
Tartan Winter Competitive Dance Team FAQ’s
Who is eligible to be on the Winter Dance Team?
Girls & Boys in grades 7-12 are eligible for the Tartan Dance Team. They must be a student at Skyview Middle School or Tartan High School.
When is the Winter Dance Team season?
In the state of Minnesota, the Varsity Dance Team season runs from the middle of October through the middle of February. The JV & B-Squad season ends 2-3 weeks earlier than the Varsity season.
I’ve never taken dance lessons before, can I still join?
YES! Although previous dance experience helps, Tartan Dance Team has a Junior Varsity and a B-Squad team that each focus on foundational skills to build technique. With practice and dedication, everyone can improve their dance skills.
I take dance at a studio. Can I be part of the Tartan Dance Team AND still compete at my studio?
We invite everyone to join our team... however, please check with the schedule about conflicts with studio and dance team. We encourage girls to do studio outside of dance team but want to make sure the commitment levels for both remain strong. If too many conflicts interfere with the Dance Team schedule it may not work out.
According to Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) rules, a dance team member may NOT compete with their studio dance until after the completion of the dance team season. This is often not an issue, as most studios do not begin competing until the end of February or in March, which is after the dance team season has ended.
When are practices?
This season we are practicing Monday-Thursday from 4:00-6:00pm. Practice times may change from season to season.
How many competitions are there in a season?
There are 4 conference competitions, 4-5 Saturday invitational competitions and one Sections tournament on a Saturday (Varsity only).
How much does the dance team cost?
- Tartan Activity Fee: $145 paid on https://northstpaul2060.cf.affinetysolutions.com/
- Warm-ups & marking uniforms: $116.50 (one-time purchase, can use the same set from year to year)
- Jazz Shoes: $25-35 per pair (1 or 2 pairs needed)
- Tights: $18
- If needed, these fees can be spread out through a payment plan.
- Good quality cross-training shoes--must purchase on your own.
- This is a fee that will be used towards purchasing new, updating, or renting uniforms for the season. It is also used to feed our teams during boot camps and competitions. Additionally, the Boosters will use this money to pay for dancers' hotel rooms for our overnight competition.
- The fee is usually $200 per year.
- There WILL be fundraising to help pay this fee.
- Team pictures--optional, a variety of packages are available.
- Spirit wear--TBD
- Summer Just For Kix Dance Camp in Brainerd MN--$350-400
- Fundraising opportunities ARE available. We also have some "scholarship" funds available through our Booster Club. Please notify the Head Coach of any financial hardships.
When are tryouts?
Tryouts vary year to year. They are typically held on the second week of October.
What will I learn at tryouts?
You will learn a portion of a dance routine and some kick, turn, and leap combinations to perform in front of the coaches.
Is it possible to get good grades and be a member of the Tartan Dance Team?
YES! Over the years, our team has received numerous team academic awards for maintaining high grades during the dance team season. Being on the dance team is a great lesson in time management. Most of the dancers on the team are very driven and well-rounded in ALL that they do, including academics. Coaches check team members’ grades regularly and follow Tartan High School’s policy regarding academics and sports participation.
I’m in Middle School. How do I get to Tartan High School to practice?
Middle school team members will need to fill out a bus permission slip (get from your school's main office) allowing them to ride the bus from either Skyview Middle to Tartan High School for dance team practices and events.
Will being on the dance team “look good” on my college applications?
Absolutely! Being a member of the Tartan Dance Team definitely helps to round out your college applications and shows that you can balance school life with extracurricular activities. There are leadership opportunities with being a captain or on the choreography team. Tartan Dance Team has been awarded academic and sportsmanship team awards, and each year individual dancers are awarded All-Conference, All-Conference Honorable Mention, and All-State Honors. Several Tartan Dance Team Alumni have gone on to dance at the collegiate or professional level.
What is the difference between the Fall Pom Squad and Winter Dance Team?
The Fall Hip Hop & Pom Squad is a non-competitive performance team that meets for 8 weeks from August through the beginning of October. The team performs pom/kick/hip-hop dances at sporting events, pep fest, and dance shows. The squad is considered an activity and is open to everyone who would like to join (no tryouts)