Targeted Opportunities for Personal SuccessTOPS is an offering of optional courses that are targeted to students in need of additional support. TOPS courses are possible for qualifying students through funds available by the Minnesota Department of Education. Please consider taking advantage of this powerful opportunity for your child.WHAT IS “TOPS”?“TOPS” (Targeted Opportunities for Personal Success) was the acronym given to North St.Paul-Maplewood-Oakdale Targeted Services programming.Targeted Services is part of the state ALC (Alternative Learning Center) funding designed for early intervention & prevention programming for students K-8 who are at risk of potentially needing ALC services during their 9-12 years or at risk of dropping out of school. (Minn. Stat. 124D.68)The at-risk indicators determined by the MN Statute are:
- Is below one or more grade level(s) based on standardized tests
- Is behind peers in satisfactorily completing coursework
- Is pregnant or is a parent
- Has been assessed as chemically dependent
- Has been excluded or expelled
- Has been referred by a school district for being isolated, demonstrating low motivation, aggression or behavioral problems, has family issues, or for other reasons that put a child at risk of dropping out of school
- Is a victim of physical or sexual abuse
- Has experienced mental health problems
- Has experienced homelessness in the past 6 months
- Speaks English as a second language or has limited English proficiency (LEP) (Documentation of second language must in student's cumulative file)
- Has withdrawn from school or has a higher than average level of absenteeism
- Is a sibling of or is being treated in a hospital for a life-threatening disease
Session One: Tuesday, September 21st–Thursday, November 18th
Days: Tuesdays and/or Thursdays (not all classes meet every day)
Time: 2:00–4:00 pm
If you have any other questions that cannot be answered by the course instructors, please feel free to contact the Skyview Middle School Targeted Services Coordinator, Aaron Kangas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-702-8184.
- Permission slips became available and a promotional video was shown in SOAR
- Please refer to the permission slip for important information and dates.
- Classes are first-come, first-served for qualifying students.
- Students can sign up later if there is still room in the class.
- Students must plan on attending the entire session. After five consecutive absences, he/she will be dropped from the class.