Welcome to Mr. Dean's AP Bio PageBasic Class information:
Links to other collections of AP Bio Materials and/or Lectures:
- Class Calendar
- Click to sign up for text or email reminders about this class.
- Summer Homework: Possible Test Questions
- MasteringBiology: Online Resources for your Textbook. Registration Instructions
- Link to online labs
- Sparknotes.com AP Bio page
---------AP EXAM REVIEW----------
- bozemanscience.com short lectures on many labs & topics. Type a topic in the search box
- Great online video's/lectures from the Khan Acadamy - searchable for your topic
- Link to Lecture PowerPoints (PDF's posted by another school)
- Savage Science Tutorials - brief lectures on many AP Bio topics
- Hippo Campus: Online learning tools
- Link to Mr. Knuffke's awesome AP Bio site... Lots of good links and resources!
- McGraw Hill Textbook resources: There's LOTS here, including many animations... You just need to figure out which chapter to look in for the topic you want.
Mr. Dean's Review PowerPoints:
- The new for 2013, revised AP Bio Exam: 10 minute video from BozemanScience
Mathematics for the AP Exam:
- Learnerator - Lots of free questions by topic WITH explanations of correct/incorrect responses!
- 2012 AP Exam Questions (with key) - edited so only q's appropriate under new 2013 guidelines are included.
- Practice Questions from the College Board (the actual AP Exam company). This link is to a HUGE pdf document, so you'll want to go to these pages for the practice questions:
- multiple choice (pages 128-163)
- free response questions (pages 164-168)
- Brainbeau.com has a bunch of practice exams, check them out!
- WikiPreMed - good practice question sets for MANY AP topics
---------After The Exam----------Links for research projects:
- Graphing: 5 min video tutorial
- The Q10 factor - Temp Effects in Biological Systems: 5 minute tutorial from BozemanScience
- Water Potential: 10 minute tutorial from BozemanScience
- Chi-Squared Test: 12 minute video from BozemanScience
Getting your AP Results:
- Science News web site - user ID email@example.com; password given out upon request in class
- Science Daily web site
---------Resources by Unit/Topic----------Ecology:BioChem:
- The College Board is going online with AP Results this year. You are required to set up an account with them to get results. Remember, if required to give an email address, it's a good idea to have a dummy account or "junk" account set up. This will keep your real inbox from getting cluttered with solicitations that you don't want.
- Go to the College Board's Student Registration webpage to set up your account.
- These should be available around the end of June - beginning of July.
- I'd say "Good luck", but we all know it's not about luck.
Cell Structure & Function:
- BioChem Practice Test
- Properties of water animations/videos:
- Link to Enzyme Activity Simulation
- Enzyme Graphic Novel Project: Template/Instructions ; Completed Projects
Photosysnthesis & Respiration:
- Quizlet online flashcards for cell structures and their functions
- Cell Organelle Facebook Assignment
- CellCraft Game help the Platypus species survive while learning about the cell
- Harvard Video: Inner Life of the Cell Excellent! Emphasis on cytoskeleton & membrane structure (8 min)
- Quizlet online flashcards for cell membrane structures and functions
- Membrane structure and Transport Proteins video (about 5 minutes)
- Membrane Simulator
- Sodium-Potassium Membrane Pump animation
Cell Communication:Respiration, and Cell Comm Review: Ch 9 and 11 Review SlidesGenetics and Molecular Genetics:Some DNA Replication Videos:Some Transcription and Translation Videos:Epigenetics and Control of Eukaryotic Gene Expression:Genetics of Bacteria and Viruses:
- Respiration: Excellent animation of Electron Transport Chain (4 min)
- Respiration: Ninja Enzymes Video (5 min) (Fun... and informative??)
- Respiration AND Photosynthesis: ATP Synthase animation (4 min)
- Respiration: BozemanBio video lecture (14 min)
- Photosynthesis - Floating Disc Lab Demo by Bozeman (6 min)
Genetic Engineering:Mechanisms of Evolution/Population Genetics:
- Interactive Lac Operon (PhET)
- RadioLab Website... on this site, search for the Patient O podcast, and give it a listen. The first 15 min describe the story of Typhoid Mary. From 15min, 50 sec to 43 minutes you'll hear the story of the search for Patient 0: the origins of the AIDS virus in the human population. BONUS - from 1:03:15 to 1:13:30 is the story about the evolution of the cowboy hat.
- AIDS virus infection & possible interventions Excellent 5 minute animation
The Diversity of Life - Classification and Phylogeny:
- Natural Selection on Rabbits!
- Population Genetics Simulator - vary the Hardy Weinburg conditions and see what happens
- HHMI's short film, The Birth and Death of Genes-Antarctic Ice Fish (13 min)
Anatomy and Physiology:Immune System:
- Molecular Evolution- Genes & Proteins -Phylogeny (7 min)
- Cladistics & DNA Comparison (BLAST Lab) by Bozeman Biology - 10 min video, NOT counting pauses for solving problems. These links are used in the activity:
Homeostasis (Regulation & Excretion):
- Khan on Phagocytes in Nonspecific Immune Response (16:20 - last 10 is best)
- Khan on Innate vs. Adaptive Immune Response (8:07)
- Khan on B-cells (14:13) This one is especially good!
- Khan on Inflammatory Response (14:35)
Hormones and the Endocrine System:Animal Reproduction:
- Khan on nephrons in the kidney (18 min)
- NOVA: Life’s Greatest Miracle - from embryo to newborn (55 min, but in chapters)
- segments 3 & 4 in class?